Concept Demo – ListSelect Filtering (Part Two)

{{7/16/2015 Workflow 7.6 update — review this update for new info on this post.}}

I was able to work a bit more logic into the ListSelect filtering concept I demonstrated in a previous post.  This time, I’m filtering based on both a standard TextBox as well as a CheckBoxList component.

listfilter2
I’m behind a bit on security patches.

Continue reading

Write Data to an Excel File

I had the opportunity today to respond to a post on the Symantec Workflow forums, here, regarding writing data to an Excel file.  Here’s a quick go-to on how to do it.

Let’s have a look at two different scenarios.  The first being that there’s a file that’s being output to a specific location (like a log file), and the second, that a user is downloading report data to an excel file that will be saved to their default download directory.

Both scenarios are illustrated in the demo project for this post, and require the import of the LogicBase.Components.Office.dll library (Microsoft Office).

*Note that this method can also be applied to a number of other scenarios, but an important third scenario would be sending an Excel file via the Send Email component as the file attachment.

Continue reading

Workflow Short – Disable Input Field Autocomplete (Google Chrome)

As I was presenting a project-in-development to a customer, the remark was made that “the suggested responses are going to be a problem, as this may be used on a community kiosk”.  I was presenting a self-service password reset project and demoing with Google Chrome.

So after a bit of looking around, I put together this bit of javascript code to disable the autocomplete suggestions in Chrome:


//remember to paste into notepad (or similar)
//before pasting into the Advanced Text Creator
//in Workflow in order to remove formatting from the text.

function DisableAutoComplete() {
var thisForm = document.getElementById('form1');
thisForm.setAttribute('autocomplete','off');
}

This is called at body onload like this:


DisableAutoComplete();

The feature we’re disabling is illustrated below.  It includes the dropdown list of values as well as the yellow background after one of the items is selected.

2015-01-20_19-46-02

Here’s a moving picture to demonstrate two different forms; one with autocomplete in its default state, and another with it disabled by our code above.

AutocompleteDisabled

Head over to the Demos page to find an example package.

Custom Component – Determining the Client Browser

While developing a workflow project for a customer, I noticed that some machines in the customer environment were using IE9 as the primary browser.  I also noticed that my form design worked very poorly in IE9.  Because the team I was working with had a bit of control over the business paradigm, I was able to design the form to indicate to the end user that “IE9 is an unsupported browser, please use Chrome or etc etc”.  This was fantastic, since I really didn’t want to have to go back and redesign everything to work with IE9.

In this post response by reecardo on Symantec Connect, it’s mentioned that the Get HTTP Request Value component can be configured to return the HTTP_USER_AGENT string.  So instead of doing all the work to parse that string reliably, (see this post to find out why this string response is so convoluted), I decided to instead use that time to learn some more C#.

Here’s my run at building a Code (Script) Component that returns usable values containing client browser data.

Continue reading

Workflow Short – Personalizing Workflow Component Defaults

I use the Embedded Rule Model a lot.  Excessively so.  Although configuring it takes only a few actions, after personalizing the component, all I need to do is drag and drop and it’s ready to use.

In my environment, I’ve done the same for the Hanging Path Trigger component, among others.

hangingpathtrig
Click to enlarge. Before: Hanging Path Trigger. After: Catch All.

Continue reading

Workflow Short – Position Forms at Y=Top, X=Center

The two settings Workflow provides for the position of your forms is handled here:

2015-01-12_18-33-25

Continue reading

Integrating LDAP and Workflow for Common Account Actions

All day this past Friday I was trying to get either the Active Directory components or the LDAP generated components to return some usable information on whether an account was locked out.  The only results I was able to get back was what I can only guess is some sort of riddle.

System.__ComObject

So, turns out that the solution for converting that into usable data was going to require way more effort than I was willing to give it, so I figured I may as well use my time for something more useful, like starting to learn C#.

The result of 2 days’ worth of effort finally paid off, and I’m able to pull a readable, usable value for an account’s lockout status.  I’m also able to set a password and unlock that account pretty easily.  Here’s some info on how to do it.

Continue reading