Repair web.config After Opening a Published Project

There are sometimes circumstances (ahem, ServiceDesk) which require that we open a published Workflow file.  By deleting or otherwise adjusting the “project.deployed” file name that sits in the published project directory, we are able to “unlock” that project for editing in the Workflow designer.

Continue reading

Custom C# Component – Adding a Computer to a Group in Active Directory

Symantec Connect user Turl posted a forum question asking how to add a computer to an Active Directory group in a Workflow project, because in the Active Directory component library, there’s no boxed component to do this.

Hello

I am trying to add a computer to an AD-Group in my Worklfow.

How can that be done?

I know that there is a component to add user to a Group. But there is no component for computers.

Does anyone have an idea how this could be solved?

Thanks

Turl

After a bit of effort (and learning, as I am not presently a respectable coder), I was able to create a custom C# Code (Script) Component that accomplishes this task.

Continue reading

Considerations – “Copy Data Element to New Location” Component

When using the Copy Data Element to New Location component, use the “Deep Copy” option if you mean to retain the original variable for comparison purposes and you intend to edit the values of the copied (new) variable.  See the demo for a better illustration, but here’s a scenario to hopefully help describe it:

Continue reading

Workflow 7.6 – Adjustments and Considerations

{{Update 7/6/2015: 

The TextBox component is now a nested input element.  any javascript or CSS reference to a TextBox component will now need to be adjusted to fit the new HTML layout.  

.textbox {
  outline: none;
}
.textbox > input {
  outline: none;
}

var txtbx = document.getElementById(‘textbox’);
var txtbx = document.getElementById(‘textbox’).firstElementChild;
}}

After working with 7.6 for a few days, I’ve found a few bugs, as well as some differences in how the javascript is rendered in the new version.  I’ll also mention that the 7.6 virtual windows are completely different than the old infragistics stuff in 7.5; you’ll actually notice if you go looking for it, that the infragistics folder isn’t even there anymore.

Continue reading

Custom Component – Determining the Client Browser

While developing a workflow project for a customer, I noticed that some machines in the customer environment were using IE9 as the primary browser.  I also noticed that my form design worked very poorly in IE9.  Because the team I was working with had a bit of control over the business paradigm, I was able to design the form to indicate to the end user that “IE9 is an unsupported browser, please use Chrome or etc etc”.  This was fantastic, since I really didn’t want to have to go back and redesign everything to work with IE9.

In this post response by reecardo on Symantec Connect, it’s mentioned that the Get HTTP Request Value component can be configured to return the HTTP_USER_AGENT string.  So instead of doing all the work to parse that string reliably, (see this post to find out why this string response is so convoluted), I decided to instead use that time to learn some more C#.

Here’s my run at building a Code (Script) Component that returns usable values containing client browser data.

Continue reading

Workflow Short – Personalizing Workflow Component Defaults

I use the Embedded Rule Model a lot.  Excessively so.  Although configuring it takes only a few actions, after personalizing the component, all I need to do is drag and drop and it’s ready to use.

In my environment, I’ve done the same for the Hanging Path Trigger component, among others.

hangingpathtrig
Click to enlarge. Before: Hanging Path Trigger. After: Catch All.

Continue reading

Integrating LDAP and Workflow for Common Account Actions

All day this past Friday I was trying to get either the Active Directory components or the LDAP generated components to return some usable information on whether an account was locked out.  The only results I was able to get back was what I can only guess is some sort of riddle.

System.__ComObject

So, turns out that the solution for converting that into usable data was going to require way more effort than I was willing to give it, so I figured I may as well use my time for something more useful, like starting to learn C#.

The result of 2 days’ worth of effort finally paid off, and I’m able to pull a readable, usable value for an account’s lockout status.  I’m also able to set a password and unlock that account pretty easily.  Here’s some info on how to do it.

Continue reading