Custom Component – Determining the Client Browser

While developing a workflow project for a customer, I noticed that some machines in the customer environment were using IE9 as the primary browser.  I also noticed that my form design worked very poorly in IE9.  Because the team I was working with had a bit of control over the business paradigm, I was able to design the form to indicate to the end user that “IE9 is an unsupported browser, please use Chrome or etc etc”.  This was fantastic, since I really didn’t want to have to go back and redesign everything to work with IE9.

In this post response by reecardo on Symantec Connect, it’s mentioned that the Get HTTP Request Value component can be configured to return the HTTP_USER_AGENT string.  So instead of doing all the work to parse that string reliably, (see this post to find out why this string response is so convoluted), I decided to instead use that time to learn some more C#.

Here’s my run at building a Code (Script) Component that returns usable values containing client browser data.

Continue reading

Workflow Short – Adjust Default Debugger Browser

I haven’t personally been a fan of Internet Explorer for a long, long time.  Because of this, when the Workflow debugger insisted on opening forms in IE, I had to insist in return that it do otherwise.

These instructions will help you swap out IE for Chrome, but you can tailor these instructions to use whatever supported browser you’d like.

Continue reading